Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Day 9 - Reunited -Together Again

We spent the morning packing up and loading the bikes amongst a few other chores.  Torrey helped clean up downed branches and debris from the yard and I logged into the computer and did a few necessary tasks via email and returned a few phone calls.

Around noon we saddled up and headed north on Lake Shore Drive (Hwy 45) which runs along Lake Winnebago to Oshkosh.  If you're following along on a map you may be wondering why we are headed north when Milwaukee is south of Fond du Lac.  We opted to ride out and meet Cami, Rick & Deb and Rudy on their way in from Superior.  It was mid-60's riding with dark clouds in the sky, but no rain.  At Oshkosh, we got on 10 and headed for Stevens Point.  This was the location of our planned meet up. 

The few quick texts we received informed us that there was a mechanical problem with the lowrider Cami is riding.  It sounded like a fuse and Rudy and Rick were getting it switched out.  They hoped to be back on the road shortly. 

With that, we decided to ride to Waupaca.  Again we checked the messages and found they were headed out on the road and the new best place to meet would be the Wausau HD store.  To get there we took I-39/US 51. We were only there maybe 15-20 minutes before the four of them rolled in.

They were a bit road weary from the experience of the last three days.  Cami was dressed in full rain gear just to be safe.  Rudy could barely get off and on his bike due to a leg/ligament injury issue he is dealing with.  It was great to see each of them. 


After catching up on the day's happenings, we went and fueled up and started making our way south to Milwaukee. 

We went back through Waupaca and towards Oshkosh, but this time we stayed on US 41 into Fond du Lac.  After a brief visit there with my mom, my brother-in-law and my niece, we rumbled down the highway for the resting place that will be ours for the next 5 days.


 We arrived dry and safe and that's what matters the most.
 



Total miles traveled today:  293
Total time to cover those miles: 8 hours
Total Cumulative miles: 2765

Cami-O
I'm beginning to think the theme of this trip has something to do with water, but today the waterworks come from within. We left the hotel 9:06 a.m., and about an hour down the road on the side of the road near Spooner, Wisconsin I received many phone calls.


When Rudy pulled over to put on another layer because it's again cold riding today, I answered my phone and received some devastating news. Today I lost a very good friend, Jed Crowder. He was a local Legend in my community and one of my greatest mentors in life.


When I got off the phone, I noticed that my instrument panel was no longer functional. I guess if you're going to get stuck at a certain mile per hour 69 is pretty good number. As we rolled on down the highway, I did my best to drown my tears in the Tennessee Whiskey (Chris Stapleton) playing on my MP3 player. With at least 300 miles to go to my Wisconsin home, I'm doing my best to not let this break my spirit for this ride. When I get where I'm going, (Alison Krauss) I'll try again, but for the rest of this day I just can't Cry Pretty (Carrie Underwood).
#cancersucks
#CrowderStrong
 
Total miles today: Unknown
Time to Travel that distance: Today, time is standing still
Total Cumulative miles: It no longer matters

Blog Addendum: Even the worst of days can end happily.  Alpha Omega Cheers to Chief Love 'Em Bengals, and to the newest grandpa....Cowboy, Rudy Moore.



No comments:

Post a Comment